Wednesday 27 March 2013

And so it begins....

My husband and I moved to Idaho Falls after spending five years in Cumbria, U.K..

We were blessed to live in a small and welcoming community in a Edwardian home with a large kitchen garden area.

Our home here has much smaller grounds but my love for gardening has not diminished. This blog will serve as a diary for myself on gardening in the Idaho Falls area and how I can obtain the most production out of a relatively small space.

After a pretty brutal January, February and most of March we finally received a forecast of several days of spring like weather. Time to start the gardening.

Today I cleaned the area in the corner of our garden that I refer to as my vegetable heaven. I cleared the grounds around the Apple and Plum trees and turned over the soil in my new raised beds.

I was unable to garden last year (the first year in our home) due to an injury that had me in a wheelchair and/or walker for most the year. One of the few things I did get to do was place a black currant bush in the section next to the Apple tree. It is showing a few buds so I'm hoping it made it through the harsh winter in relatively good health. We had about 16 black currant bushes in the U.K. and they are lovely for syrups, jams and simply crushed with a bit of sugar to serve with pate'.

Tomorrow promises to be another pleasant day so planting will begin.


No comments:

Post a Comment