Monday 5 May 2014

Cleaning and Seeding....and signs of life.

Today was a day of cleaning more beds, deep digging raised beds and adding compost, and turning and starting toenrich the Pot Farm.

Planted some bush beans as an experiment in a large container (Burpee's stringless), first row of carrots and turnips are in and peas and new spinach are showing.

Speaking of spinach the row showing in this photo is one I planted in late autumn and didn't use. It overwintered! I didn't know spinach would do that. Its a regular Bloomsdale Savoy variety and is producing like crazy. I've already sent bags to our two gardening neighbors and it will probably keeps us in spinach until the row I've planted is ready to produce for us.

If this isn't some bizarre quirk I will definitely be doing this for next year.

Also on the "good news" side I found the U.K. gardening site with an incredibly productive forum that I used to visit whilst in the U.K.. This site is BY FAR the best gardening site I've ever found regardless of where you live.  http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php

Temps in the low 60's this week but it should still be a productive week for us...fingers crossed.



No comments:

Post a Comment