Wednesday 16 April 2014

Its That Time Again...

Pots and planters are being cleaned and gardening starts. Yay!!

Our first round of peas (Marvel) went in on the 13th, along with some French Breakfast radishes and Tom Thumb lettuce.

I will be gone for a few weeks as soon as the weather between here and New Mexico stabilizes and want to have as much in place as possible for Richard to tend.

We are trying something new this year...New Potatoes.

Richard and I both miss having them and we grew loads of them in the U.K...so this is how we are fitting them into our Idaho Falls garden.





I am using our big barrel tubs and planted the first today. The barrel is emptied of soil except for a few inches and I then provide a base of steer manure. The seed potatoes are placed on top then a few inches of soil is placed above them. I put fertilizer pellets on the top of this layer.

This pot will be covered with black material each evening to help keep the soil warm and ward off frost.
 ....and I wish I could figure out how to place these photos side by side...more lessons to be learned.

I've never grown potatoes in a container before so this is a rather exciting experiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment