Tuesday 30 July 2013

Mid-Summer Adjustments

We've reached the point of the year where its time to pause, rethink what has worked so far, and start planting for autumn.

My peas this year were a disaster and it was all my fault. Richard prepared a wonderful trellis system for me and I had him place it where I could not get to the peas because of other plantings.

These have now been moved and are being replanted. Hopefully some peas will arrive before the year is out though I may be rethinking the entire pea thing next year.


Speaking of peas this is a photo of our current pot of snow peas. The package said that they did not require support so I decided to simply plant them in the pot and see how it went.

We have been harvesting peas but nothing on the order of what I usually obtain..sooooo










The next pot is back to the regular system with the support in place. Snow peas are already showing and I'm hoping that these will provide a better show of produce.







This is a photo of one of the eggplant pots. I've been searching the web like crazy trying to find out what is the best size to pick and believe that we will have eggplants ready in 3 or 4 days. I'm amazed at the number of eggplants in each pot and they will keep producing for quite some time. Gifts for the neighbors :)
This is a photo of our HUGE cucumber pot. Loads of vines, healthy as can be with lots of blossoms....and no cucumbers developing. The smaller one has 5 or 6 coming so I'm simply going to be patient.

I didn't place a marker in this so I'm not sure what the variety is (I seem to do that with at least one plant or row a year!).

...and the experiment that didn't work.

Leeks do not thrive in pots...lessen learned. These will be pulled this afternoon whilst Richard is at his Chukar's game and perhaps more snow peas.

Bean harvest has started in earnest and must be done every day now.

Three spaghetti squash are developing, tomatoes were fertilized and courgettes are being harvested.

We are due for a trip to Western Washington soon and I'm nervous as can be about missing harvests because they plants won't be picked and may go dormant. Such is life.

No comments:

Post a Comment