Monday 22 July 2013

I'm pleased with the Fortex.

Yesterday was Richard's birthday so we decided to indulge in a crumble made from plums and rhubarb from the garden.

I'm really pleased with how the plums have held up through freezing and they were perfect with the rhubarb. I used Splenda to add a little sweetness and a traditional crumble recipe but I substituted some of the brown sugar for Splenda and a bit of vanilla. Served with frozen yogurt it was a treat.

....and it came from our garden. We just love that.




...and speaking of the garden.

Whilst examining the Kentucky Wonder and Fortex teepees last evening we discovered that the Fortex had started producing beans. The plant is lighter in leafing than the Kentucky Wonder but the reviews for this variety are fantastic.

Last year we allowed are beans to get too mature before picking and ended up having to throw them out after freezing. This year we are picking them much young even though Fortex is supposed to hold its quality when getting longer lengths.

I won't test that theory and will still be picking them young and certainly will do the same with the Kentucky Wonder.

The Fortex is going to receiving a dose of fertilizer this afternoon as it is a tad pale (though that has improved since its last fertilization). I think I may have a weak spot in that raised fence bed that will have to be addressed in the autumn.

The onions are doing well in their wine barrel planter. This was a fun experiment that I may repeat next year, albeit with a different variety.

Walla Walla Sweets are nice but I prefer a yellow onion with good keeping qualities for the autumn and early winter months.












The Brassica raised bed is doing well. A bit of a white fly problem on a few of the cabbages that I hope to have solved with an organic pesticide..fingers crossed.

We have already harvested a bit of broccoli from the ONE plant that survived my early planting and should have a good amount of cabbage and broccoli to come.

I have four cauliflower plants in there but I'm not sure we will bother next year...the space for return isn't that wonderful when dealing with a small garden where every inch counts.







The tomato plants are doing very well and we will have our first soon. This is a Roma with the fruits showing signs of color. In the 90 degree heat we have had for the last few weeks it has been a race to keep everything in the Pot Farm watered and comfortable but so far so good. I know I'll never plant a Tomato or Cucumber in a garden plot again, they do so well in the pots. (Thanks Rose!!)











Peppers are starting to show on some of the plants. I don't think we will be able to get enough of these to please us.

This is my first time growing some of these varieties so I'm not sure what to expect regarding maturity date, etc., but will be willing to learn.











And the eggplants are beginning to show. Another new adventure but they seem to be very happy in their pots..two plants to each. I have three varieties growing including a small "ball" type that is just getting large enough to look as if it may get blossoms.

Richard loves eggplant so why not?











And finally, my lone winter squash to date. A Spaghetti Squash. I am watching the other plants and vines and keeping my fingers crossed but this one is pretty.

Time to go back out to the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment