Wednesday 12 June 2013

Harvesting, Small but Nice

We returned from a five day visit to the Denver area to find things progressing nicely.

 A LOT more green evident in the planters. My peas are still not growing as tall as I would expect though they appear to be as healthy as can be. Luckily if not a success this time there is still time for replanting but this has me puzzled.
 I've planted a short row of Autumn Torch. A chinese cabbage hybrid that has more than exceeded my expectations. A few of these will be cooked for tomorrow's dinner.

I am learning it pays to be adventurous with my seed exploring. Many other cultures have wonderful finds that whilst not "stand bys" here in the States are delicious and productive.
 This is a photo of my Tokyo Cross turnips. They are doing very well and I'm cautiously optimistic that I may have found a replacement for the seeds I used in the U.K.. These will be picked when they are a little larger than two inches across. I use the greens stir fried with a bit of onion, lean ham, a touch of vinegar and olive oil.
 The most mature row of Pak Choi is doing well. They are harvested "baby" sized and I have several rows in production throughout the garden beds. This easy to grow veg (when harvesting baby sized) is wonderful in soups, salads, stir fries and grilled.
 Our lettuce rows are starting to produce. These are Tom Thumbs and will be harvested throughout the summer, fall and early winter. The space left in this row after harvesting is simply filled with more seeds so there is always more growing.

These are nice when used for salads, sandwiches, etc., and also are very pretty picked and prepped whole and then served with toppings and dressing as an individual salad.

The weather here has produced a few days of very good heat and we now are experiencing a few cooler days with some nice rainfalls. So far I'm pretty excited about what gardening here in Idaho Falls.

Weeding of beds started today but I was rained out! Time to finish tomorrow but raised beds and pots make it sooooooooooo much easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment